View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Something to keep in mind....

One of the main reasons that the copper solids are used over in Africa is that the PH's want to ALWAYS HAVE AN EXIT....that way they can get their trackers on a animal if they are not able to recover it quickly....most places will make you pay for an animal whether you recover it or not. So if you shoot a zebra and they know you hit it and you do not recover it.....you pay for a zebra.

One of the highest chances of having an exit on an animal is to shoot a monometal solid design.....that expands to 1.5-2.0 times the starting diameter and punches right through....whether you hit bone of not.

I have killed many NA game with cup and core bullets....some exited and some didn't. I have had some "bang flops" and I have had some animals continue to try and get away.

Each shot from a rifle is a "beast unto its own"....meaning it is darn near impossible to take the same shot 2 times in a row and either expect the exact same results or observe the exact same results.....too many factors determine what that bullet and animal is going to do.

Heck my father pointed out to me one time that depending on whether an animal is inhaling or exhaling it can effect where the internal organs are placed in the chest cavity.....as the diaphram moves and the lungs fill or empty things move forward and back....you never see this in the field (animals breathing) but we have done "autopsies" on game and seen some neat results that you would not expect from a shot placement....

LC
Lefty thanks for that bit of fantastic info. I would like to see more of that kind of info on these threads. I never ever thought of the internal organs moving with the diaphram. Thanks again.