View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckistanian View Post
He is new to contracting on his own, although I don't see why I necessarily should be paying for his mistakes. I have a budget I need to stick To and this is a big unexpected cost. To me that shows a lack of responsibility on his part and I personally would never expect someone to have to eat the cost of my poor labour estimation.

No he hasn't done anything extra other then leave some of his own personal garbage on my property. He still has 2 walls left to tyvek and install the runners for the overhead door. Still need to get building inspection done as well and am worried that if there are any issues to fix after I've paid him I'll never hear from him again. Some guys at work were saying you're allowed to hold back a certain percentage and was hoping you would chime in Ken.
Builders Lien act is 10% for 30 days (more commonly 45 days) for holdback. That's when you get him to sign a statutory declaration prior to releasing the holdback. Assuming everything is above board. Cash deals are trickier and him placing a lien could affect his status with the CRA as well if he's doing it under the table so would give him pause for thought.