View Single Post
Old 01-16-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Thats good for your friend but that doesnt prove anything
He was presented with the longest shot at the largest animal, has nothing to do with the cartridge be brought. He just made the shot when it counted
What ever a 30/06 can do, a 300 win can do better
In camps all around the world, you will find 300 win ammo more readily available.
Exactly! No one’s ability or success, as a general rule, is based on whether or not they are shooting a particular cartridge.

Let’s look at his success another way. Maybe, just maybe, the outfitter looked at him and his gear and he got the best guide assignment. Perhaps the PRC crowd didn’t appeal to their confidence as much.

I’m not knocking the 300. I’ve hunted with it quite successfully. I have a late friend that used it almost exclusively around the globe with one. He even took a couple of Cape Buffalo with it. Zero fanfare. But he confided in me at one point that the 300 was too much of a good thing. He was tiring of its recoil and all but went back to a 270.

The Weatherby Award winners? 300 magnums, 7MM magnums, 270’s and 30-06’s are very common as their primary battery for the worlds thin skinned game.