Thread: Which welder?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Banned

Default good advice ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta83 View Post
I found another forum member that is an electrician and he set me up with power in my attached garage at a very reasonable rate. I would recommend you do the same as what I did, don't run a single circuit for your welder from the house to the garage. Run heavy gauge wire to the garage and add a sub panel instead and then you can put whatever circuits you want in the garage quite easily. The only real cost difference is buying the sub panel and breakers which should be less than $100. We installed about 8 more 110 plugs, a 220 outlet and wired it to add future lights. I purchased all the material. All total including paying the electrician cash it probably cost me about $500
make sure the electrician gives you a good heavy feed to your 220 circuit from your garage sub-panel, check the electric specs for the welder you plan to buy and be sure this cable feed exceeds those requirements ... ( I think the cable feed on my job was $150 - 200 alone ... )

depending on the room left in your basement panel (the subpanel to the garage will take 4 ckcts) - you may want to make sure the garage sub panel has enough room for a couple AC 220 volt circuits (4 ckcts) and another 220 for a Hottub (2 ckcts) as well .... for down the road, if you haven`t already installed these necessities.

Last edited by TBD; 03-02-2014 at 09:25 AM.