Thread: Elk tactics
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 07:36 PM

Learned something new today. Out for a hike and cut a bull trail. I followed it for a few hundred yards as it was really fresh. It started to wander around a bit and I noticed it was maybe twisting in its tracks every once in a while. I thought it was getting ready to bed and just looking for a good spot but as I followed it circled back on its self taking to a slightly higher elevation. It backtracked to a spot where when I stood where it stood I was looking at my track through the dead falls. Sucker probably stood there and watched me following its tracks. I stuck to the trail for another 2-3 km and it circled back 2 more times. Each time my trail was visible from where it stoped. Most times it was higher up than I was.
What I learned. When a track starts wandering and "twisting" keep a lookout on the uphill or down wind side of the trail. The sneaky sucker might just be looking at you on his backtrail.
For you trackers out there, do you guys stick to the trail for the most part or do you like to swing in semi circles down wind keeping track of the track and trying to intercept the critter as it swings to watch it's backtrack?

I never did see the bull this time before I headed back