Thread: Elk tactics
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 05:06 AM

Default Off season hunting

For you elk hunters, what skill are you working on this winter that will make you a better Elk hunter? One thing I fell into way back when I first started was thinking I could buy my way to a successful Elk harvest by getting the latest greatest gadget/ Call/ scent....ECT. After a few seasons I realised gear wasn't what was going to get the job done. Skill was the thing most necessary for harvest. Sure you need good quality equipment..pack,calls ECT. But how you implement them and general woodsmanship is far more important. I have usually identified a skill/ weakness every year that I work on during the winter/ summer in prep for the hunting season. This past season my biggest difficulty was health. This winter summer I am putting much focus on getting my body(herniated disk in back) back into a state where I will be fit enough to get anywhere the Elk are. This was my biggest issue last season. Even still I did manage multiple bow encounters at ranges less than 30 yds and cut a tag during rifle season on a 5x5. I will also be on the lookout for any scrap of insight/ practising on tracking. Both in snow and without snow. As I feel developing this skill will make me a better hunter all around.
What skill are you wanting to develop or weakness are you able to work on this off season to help you have success? For those who want success it will take effort