Thread: Elk tactics
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 04:58 AM

Default Another tip

Observations have found while tracking.
Post rut satellite bulls will often pair up and travel / feed together. So if you see two sets of larger heavy prints it's worth pursuing.
Groups of 3-8 will often have spike bulls but more often not a legal bull
Groups larger than ten animals will often have a herd bull among them even into November.
This info can help when you cut fresh tracks and are trying to decide a plan of action.

Larger groups are really tough to pick out a specific animal as there are many more eyes and ears. I can't count the times I have tracked a herd( 10-15 ) into third bedding and know full well there's a bull( can hear his head gear banging on trees) but get busted by the cows before I can put eyes on him. Often when this happens the Elk will push 100 or so yards then stop and re group. You will hear regathering mews from the cows as they try to make sure every one is there. if the wind is right you can use this opportunity to get among the herd with your cow calls and " search out" the bull. There's not a high chance you will call him into you so it's a spot and shoot type of deal. I have bumped the same herd every100 yds or so up to 5 times in the past. But you have to keep the wind right or they will be fine before you are able to see them.

I mentioned a truck for getting Elk to lock up for a shot.
I found this but of info a few years back from Elk nut youtube episodes. I used to just cow call to try to get them to stop and it works sometimes. But I love Paul's logic on the sounds. A mew asks nothing of an Elk it's just a sound. A nervous grunt however asks something of them. It's like saying "what are you" in Elk talk. It invokes a response since using this sound even at long distance ive witnessed Elk stopping and responding immediately. As a coyoter I use a whistle or howl with my voice to stop an incoming coyote for the shot. The nervous grunt is used for the same purpose. I've only used out for the last two seasons but it made the difference on my last year's harvest ( late season cow )and I've used it three times this year with the same effect. 1st on a 5x5 in archery( no shot cause of my own mistakes) and on two called in spike bulls in early October.