Thread: Elk tactics
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 04:32 AM

What wmu are you guys hunting that it's so simple to get your Elk every year? My experience is 357, 358 only as that's where I live. During bow season its possible to be sloppy and still get a chance problem is off you don't kill it took just made it harder to call in next time. Our Elk herds get hit hard buy hunting pressure and for the last 5 or so years the wolves have hit the area pretty hard as well. 10 years ago I could sit on my deck morning or evading and listen to the bulls screaming. Now not so much. They are still there but they are a lot more savvy. By seconds wrk of rifle season the Elk are fully nocturnal and really skiddish. I know folks who shoot an Elk every year of their quarter but they just wait until they see them .If you don't have the luxury of unlimited time to shut pin a quarter it's tough to tag out year after year. Lots of these owners won't give permission so for lots of guys it's crown bush hunting only. Way back when, I did harvest a few Elk with sloppy calling/ tactics but couldn't do it consistently. The tips I'm sharing are based on my experience hunting the saddle hills. But I'm sure they can be used in any wmu in the province. Most of what I know has come from first-hand experience but reading and learning from other great Elk hunters has helped lessen the learning curve.