View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
I use my tri-fold quad ramps. I then use a 2 inch, 30' nylon tow strap, and sling it up the ramps, over the roof of the truck, over the hood and then attach the tow strap to the quad. I place an old blanket under the tow strap where it meets the roof of the truck. This prevents it from scratching the paint on the roof. I then move the quad to the front of the truck, and slowly drag the moose up the ramps into the box. It takes only a couple of minutes, even by yourself. I have even done this with the moose not gutted. I like to use the tractor to hang the moose while, gutting, cleaning, and quartering. I had an old uncle who showed me this trick, and I have done this numerous times. Its kinda red neck, but trust me it works.
Loaded my first deer I ever shot in a similar way. Tied the rope to a tree about 5' high. Ran it over the headache rack and to the mule buck. Simply backed up while my 8 year old bro guided the critter into the box.. I did take the tailgate off.

I also once loaded a wt deer into my truck using a pole / lever. I had injured my back so lifting the deer was not possible. I backed up beside a tree and lashed a 14' long pole to the tree about 6' off the ground vertically with about 4-5 feet of the pole below the tie off point. Before lashing the pole up i tied a strap to the " long" end of the pole, now like 20' off the ground. I tied the four legs of the deer to the short/ low end of the pole and pulled the strap attached to the long end down lifting the deer off the ground using mechanical advantage. Once it was hoisted up I tied off the long end of the pole to a tree right at ground level and backed the truck under the hoisted deer. The longer the pole the lighter the load. No way you could do a moose or Elk this way but perhaps a half would work. I used wrachet straps for all the rope needs.

If you stop and think there's often a way to get er done:-)