View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
Picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry I didnt take a pic. It sure wasn't beautiful but it works. Basic design is a 24"×5' piece of 1" plywood. This is the piece that's inserted between truck box and cab. A 6' long 4x4 is bolted onto the plywood with one end sticking out 12". The hand crank winch is mounted on that 12" section of the 4x4. When installed the plywood sits between bed and box with the 6x6 sitting on the box side across the back and bearing on the side rails. I put an eyelet on the opposite end of the 4x4 from the mounted winch and hooked the winch cable to that with a snatch block in the middle. With the line pulled out the cable is in a large V shape with the snatch block at the point. Simply crank the handle and cable pulls the critter into the truck.

With the 2000 lb crank winch This system was strong enough to skid a Camry with e brake on while mounted on the box of a Toyota tundra.
Since all the force is placed on the whole box back + both side rails there is no danger of damaging the truck. I wrapped carpet around the plywood to eliminate scratching. I have seen guys just use the hooks on the inside of the truck bed as anchor points for pulling and have seen them pull the inside of the truck box out of place because the hooks are only attached to the inside panel of the bed. This system seems to be stronger.

I got my idea from watching an oldtimer who had a 4x4x5' with electric winch mounted on the center pulling a deer wit the 4x4 laying across the back of the bed with short chunks of 2x4 stuffed down the stake pockets in the rail side to keep the 4x4 from pulling forward. He also used tie downs from the box hooks to pull the 4x4 down as well. Seemed to work fine for him. I just adapted a way to give the beam a greater bearing surface so it wouldn't put as much pressure on just the two spots on the bed rails.

The size may need to vary depending on truck and winch used

If you want a drawing of it I can email you one. Just pm me