View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanik View Post
What is the actual percentage of violent crime committed versus firearms as opposed to the estimated number of firearms in Canada?
We already know that registered firearms owners were far less dangerous than the general population. That suggests strongly that our efforts were, and are, wasted in the entire registration/PAL scheme. Those who follow such laws are inherently law-abiding. There was/is no point; it is a waste of time and money. All that our present laws do is set the table for prosecuting people for PAL offences or "prescribed storage" offences that were never a threat to anyone's safety.

Quote:
Can we move forward on this discussion without it turning into a liberal versus conservative debate?
No, we cannot. These issues ARE a contest between Statists and conservatives. Gun control is not, at it's heart, about guns. It is about control. If that is not realized, we will be exhausted with endless shadow boxing and answering endless hypothetical, emotional claims. We need to see this debate for what it is.

There is only one way - draw a hard line, be relentless with the facts and speak plainly. Our opponents need to be outed.

I do agree that we should make efforts to educate open-minded gun opponents where we can but my experience is that those sheeple are in the minority and are not our true opponent. People like Ploughshares, the Coalition and IANSA and the divide/conquer politicians who find those organizations useful are not interested in fact or reason. Gun Zombies want control. Until they have it, they will never rest. That is the field where we need to meet them head-on. If not, we will be in a game where the deck is stacked and we will lose.

The facts are all on our side. We just need to be willing to relentlessly plough through the labels and snide derision that we will hear from our opponents and know what we are dealing with.

Great thread.