View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
As far as sights go, I prefer a patrigde style front with a fairly wide so ot in the rear sight for a hunting rifle as it lets my eyes center the front easier in the rear sight . I detest a front bead style sight that is shiny as itvwill refract the sunlight .
I never use a 6 o’clock hold on my hunting rifles I always aim where I want the bullet to hit unless it is that far away that I have to hold over a bit .
Open sights are not a long range affair.
Cat
I think it depends on what you consider "long range," and who's doing the shooting. During my time at Ft Leonard Wood I saw some incredible shooting with irons. One time while I was stationed there a local civvy long distance shooting club was invited to come and compete against a Marine Corp rifle team. Anyone who has spent time in that neck of the woods will know that most of those Missouri hillbillys can shoot. They showed up with true long range rigs like any civilian would use. The Marine rifle team were armed with open sighted M14s and they shot circles around the civilians, all the way out to 800 meters. To me thats long range shooting.