View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Either log it or it will burn. People that keep petitioning this kind of stuff should find something better to do with their time.
Wow, they better get busy then!! They will have to log the entire Eastern Slopes, and probably should change the laws to allow logging in all the mountain parks that have trees!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendrake View Post
Forests have stood for eons with no fires but you make it sound like its going to happen soon anyways. Flawed logic at best.
And fires have occurred naturally for eons, also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Someone please explain how logging stops forest fires. When it is hot and dry with strong winds a forest fire burns everything including cut blocks over run with grass and logging waste. Yes forests come back after logging in about 100-150 years.
It doesn't stop forest fires, and you are right.... cut blocks provide kindling with all the slash and tiny little trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsougri View Post
I agree sustainable and responsible logging can be a good idea. However attached is a photo of how logging was done earlier in the year in the area 10 km south of the Highwood Junction.
I guess we are amongst the minority if we can't see how lovely that looks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
How does logging prevent forest fires? The scrub that growns in for the first 40-70 years is a brutal tangle of match sticks and young trees and you have the surrounding forest that doesnt get logged adjacent to that....

You cant actually prevent forest fires, they happen all the time, lighting or idiots can start fires no matter what the forest looks like.

The most resilient stands are the old stands where the trees and dense and large creating a forest floor without much scrubby brush and trees etc. When you hack down the forest you get an even canopy of everything growi g back and it is a carpet of brush and young trees plus all the plants that grow because they have the sun they dont normally get with a mature forest.

Logging does not prevent forest fires, unless you bulldozer the mountain to bare soil after all the stuff that grows back in burns... that scrubby second growth stuff burns pretty good. Logging generally attracts beetles etc too to the 'leave stands' as well as the edges of blocks where trees get stressed and scared up from logging. The bugs propogate it the stressed/scarred trees then infest neighbouring trees. Logging kinda dries areas out too which stresses trees and encourages beetles which i turn leads to more fire possibility. I see this because i have grown up in a forestry community and have been out in the same bushes for 27 years and witnessed the changes through out time in different areas.
^^^ YES!!! EXACTLY!!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!