View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
Hi all,

Had a blast fishing for pike in the local lake this spring and summer (until the algae got bad) and I was looking to add to my arsenal for this new season. I did all of my fishing with a floating line, I would just wade out into flat shallow areas and that did the trick for the early season.

I have a kayak now so I can get around a little better, work some deeper water. And I'm wondering what kind of line I should buy next to have the most versatile setup. Intermediate? Sink tip? Or full on sinking line?
I would say that I use an intermediate line for 75% of my subsurface pike fishing, 15% type5 full sink, and 10% floating line. Early in the season (i.e. before mid-July), I will almost always have 2 rods strung---an intermediate streamer and a floating popper/slider. I will use an intermediate line in even 30cm of water. I will use a floating line to work over the top of weed beds once they develop, but I would still rather use an intermediate for the most part.

On still water, I would avoid a sink tip, but it can play multi-purpose for fishing for Bow River trout or bull trout. The full sink line has value if you need to fish deeper than 3m, which will happen in August and September.