View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 08:07 AM

Default Some help with mulies this fall

I know there have been a few similar posts over the past few years but thought I would throw it out there anyway and maybe someone could at least PM me.

My buddy and I are a priority 5 or 6 and would like to pull our mulie tags this year and hunt both archery and gun season. I live by Red Deer and have hunted mostly whitetail but have dreamed about spot and stalk mulie hunting in the big coulees of the south/southeast.

I'm not sure what the current situation of our mulies are in the south/southeast (winterkill/CWD overharvesting, etc). So I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm not looking for anyone's honeyhole or anything like that. However, if you have a WMU recommendation, I'd love a PM.

I plan to go out in the summer and ask for permission and do some serious scouting and due diligence, but need to pick a WMU for the draw before the deadline.

Both of us would be happy with anything over 160 but I'd love to hunt somewhere where the possibility of a 180+ still exists. Somewhere, like I said, where a guy can glass river bottoms or coulees and spot and stalk. I don't mind wearing the rubber off my hiking boots... in fact, I would prefer that. As I would be mostly limited to weekends to hunt, the 102-160 WMU's scare me a bit not being able to hunt on Sundays. Also, somewhere where permission isn't impossible and the outfitters don't have most of the landowner's in the back pocket.

Thanks for any and all advice you can give. Anything would be appreciated.