Thread: Mech vs fixed
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
I've broken both shoulder knuckles with Rocket Steel heads and 380gr arrows at 275fps. New rigs with 400+ grains going 300fps plus will penetrate with good heads that don't cut too wide. Resistance is the great downfall of arrow penetration.
Penetration on heavy bone will be inconsistent with a setup like that (deer legs don't even constitute heavy bone). When I went to oz hunting water buff I shot 750 grains, those consistently break everything in their path. There's also a lot more then just arrow weight that goes into this equation but it's a non starter if you haven't got it.
If your properly tuned with a good broadhead, an arrow/insert/broadhead that won't break or bend on a tough impact and keep your arrow weight up around 500 grains you'll blow through a deer at any angle. Hit one like the op did and you'll drop him, that shot probably would of needed a follow up but the deer would of went down once you got through his (thin) scapula and broke his back. Play this game long enough and bad shots are going to happen. The only variable is if your going to be ready for them?