View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Sell off as much junk as possible. Sell house here since company is paying the realtor, legal etc costs of sale. Depending on value of house, this is worth 30 -50,000 in your pocket. Most markets across Canada have come down quite a bit and many U.S. locations are still somewhat depressed. Use money to buy house where you want to retire so that you are in that market now and if it goes up lots in the next 6 years you are still good. Rent it out. Rent will easily pay for one and maybe even two Condo rents. Rent Condo in Calgary near airport. Whether you stay in Calgary or come back to Edmonton, rent till you retire and leave your capital in the market you want to move to.

Best of luck in the new job.
Thanks for the input. That’s actually one scenario we have discussed, and are likely to again in the next year. The only issue is I’m still currently at least 7 1/2 years until retirement, possibly more, and we really haven’t decided quite yet how that scenario will look for us. If we really don’t mind Calgary too much, we may end up staying there for half the year and just being snow birds for the balance. Other options include returning home to BC, although not returning to the Lower Mainland, so possibly either over to the Island, or into the interior somewhere. My wife’s extended family live in the interior, and she’s not sure how she feels about living too close to them, lol. Personally, I abhor renting and paying someone else’s mortgage. I know in some cases it does make sense, especially in the short term, but I will have to make that determination once our timelines are more firmly established.