Thread: Over Trapping
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 03:39 AM
Gone Hunting

We never have a lot of Coyote around here.
There's more in the more developed areas but still nothing to what I used to see when I lived in Wetaskiwin.

I haven't been out much this winter, but when I was out hunting there did seem to be fewer tracks then in previous years.

There never is a lot in Bush country. And the fur is darker and course compared to the southern Coyotes I've handled.

I know that Coyote depend on mice a lot and this bush country just doesn't have the numbers of mice plus there would be a lot more competition for these mice then out in open country.

We had several dry years in a row and maybe that's why the numbers are down here, and everywhere.

Dryer years produce less seed, every farmer knows that. Mice are seed eaters. that's one of the reasons there are less in this bush country.

Coyote will prey on Rabbits, but they are not good at it. Besides, the rabbit population is down too.
At least here they are down, up by Fort Res they must be near plaque proportions.

We were up there this summer and the last hour of driving to the fishing hole we must have seen 100 rabbits per mile of road.

Down here I might see one for every 1,000 miles driven.

Should be tons of Fox up there next year.

George Bernard Shaw