View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 05:03 PM

My preferred setup is a 7’-7’3” MH with a fast action for the #9 raps, and a 6’8”-7’ M Fast for the smaller raps and shiver minnows. I’m looking for something with backbone that has the power to horse them in a little, but it also has to have some flex with a soft tip that isn’t “whippy”. It also has to have a SUPER comfortable handle/reel seat, because you’re going to be ripping it up and down for 8 hrs, and if it doesn’t, even the smallest thing will make you hate life after an hour.

I’ve tried A LOT of setups and rods. I’ve settled on the Shimano Zodias in 73MHF and 7MF, both with a 2500 size Stradic CI4. The Zodias with the Spiral X wrap blank construction just has by far the best flex characteristics of any rod I tried. It’s the perfect blend of power and action, always flexes straight/true, and there’s no whip in the tip. They aren’t cheap though. The Clarus series works well too at a much lower price.

I use 10lb Power Pro Super Slick as my main line, then attach a 3-5 ft leader of 15-20 lb fluourcarbon using a barrel swivel. The heavy fluoro is strong, abrasion resistant, and most important, the stiffness keeps the rap from fouling itself on the line all the time. I’ll use 12lb fluoro on my lighter setup.

The stiffness and lack of stretch in my setups is why I like a longer rod and a drag that just slips on a hard pull. I’ve found that you want to keep it pretty tight and keep the fight short, the longer they have to flip that rap around the more chance they’re coming unbuttoned.