View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nategsp View Post
Good day fellas, New to the forum! I am just getting into the jigging raps and I recently purchased a rod but I want to make sure it’ll do the job for what I use it for. I am usually gonna use size 7 and 9 Rapala jigging raps. the rod is a Quantum Accurist PT Spinning Rod (6’6" 1/8 - 1/4 lure Medium-Heavy 6 - 14 test).

The question I have is that the lure rating is way lighter than what I will use it for but from my understanding you want a medium to medium heavy rod for jigging raps? Does the lure and line rating matter when using it for jigging raps? I will hardly never be casting with the rod as well.

any suggestion on other rods would be greatly appreciated aswell

Look forward to your response.
What I fish with is st croix MH 7' with a fast tip.The fast tip allows for a nice pop off the bottom.Braid for main line barrel swivel with a piece of monofilament for a leader the mono gives you the bit of stretch that I believe is required, I do a lot of casting with the jigging raps and slow trolling popping it of the bottom as I go.Im new to this method so maybe others could chime in this is what I've been doing the last couple years and have done well.love it when you go to snap jig it and it nothing but solid weight ,don't be shy to use 12 or 14 pound mono with any of the jigging raps there heavy I don't exactly finesse fish with them and you'll be glad you did when you hook up to that monster. GOOD LUCK