View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Wanted to trade in my wife’s Toyota Sequoia Platinum. 8 years old with 180,000 in good shape with brand new tires. Dealer offers $13,000. I say that is pretty low, considering you have one on the lot, with 80,000km more and a year older for $26,000. Salesman says “well, we have to wash it and.....”
I say “....and what? A wash costs $13,000
Salesman says “ well, maybe an oil change too....”
I think we will keep it for now.
I mean to be fair, they probably are willing to deal $3-4 grand on that used Sequioa, and if you’re looking at trading in and going new, they can work your trade-in value a bit. Then of course they need to make a margin to make ir worth their while—they don’t operate for free.

Then you need to realize how often people trade-in their vehicles that are JUNK. I’ve known guys who have traded in trucks with bad headgaskets, electrical gremlins, fuel pumps on their way out, pooched fuel injectors. Dealers pretty much always assume if you’re trading in, you’re giving them a junker. If it wasn’t junk, you’d be able to sell it for full value on Kijiji.

Overall all though, we all have to realize dealers aren’t in the business of doing you a favour and have no obligation to buy your vehicle for what you might perceive as full value. Don’t like what they are offering, don’t gotta sell it. They offer the quick convenience of taking your vehicle off your hands but it comes at a cost.

Imagine some guy coming to your door offering to sell you a big tackle box of fishing gear worth $1000 and then having them call you an a-hole because you don’t really need it and said you’d give him $300 for it.

Not saying that there aren’t a ton of shady dealerships and scummy salesguys out there, but I don’t see why anyone gets upset.