View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 09:11 AM

Spring has been SOOO slow coming to the North country!!! With all the snow out there, it has been an especially slow year for me when it comes to finding whitetail sheds...I've only managed to find 14 thus far...all around food sources. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to go walk more once the snow has left and the deer have dispersed from their wintering areas...but that could be well into May the way things are going. I'm enjoying the pics being posted on this thread. In a few of the pics posted, I'm actually finding it strange to see patches of bare ground!!! It actually gives me hope...that I will eventually be seeing terrain coloured other than white in the foreseeable future!!! lol
I especially enjoy the "as they lay pics"! Some of you are making some very nice finds....keep those pics coming!!!
On a positive note, the deer seem to be fairly healthy considering all the snow and the long winter we've had. I have 35 or so whitetail wintering in the woodlot behind my house and I get to observe them every day...and I haven't seen them showing any signs of duress yet. I found the bucks were even packing late this year. Most of the shedding occurred over the month of March...but as of Monday evening, 4 bucks (3 young ones and 1 mature buck) were still "with antlers". I actually thought I'd see the mature buck shed his rack on Monday...as he kept shaking his head vigorously and on a few occasions...actually reached up with a back hoof and "scratched" at his antlers. I kept expecting him to drop at least one side while I watched...but he was still carrying both antlers as it got dark. Here are a couple pics from Monday...
u5qzTm9l.jpg

klTaDUSl.jpg
To be continued...