View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Can we stop with the Chicago thing please? It's a terrible argument.

https://www.politifact.com/illinois/...ot-full-holes/
Perhaps their rate of violence is because they've voted for Democrat mayors ever since 1931 then? That article notes that Chicago's former ban was lifted by the Columbia vs Heller Supreme Court decision, but I think its OK to allow that it will take a while for the local culture to adapt to their new found access to means of self defence.

That being said (and just like Toronto) Chicago's murder rate is primarily because of bad guy on bad guy violence, the people legally armed to defend themselves aren't the source of the problem. I'd love to see some non-partisan statistics where shootings are broken down by whether or not they were justified as being legitimate self-defence actions and how many were committed by people with existing criminal records versus those with no previous felony criminal records. The problem in both Toronto and Chicago and Oakland and New Orleans, etc always lies among people who would not qualify to legally purchase firearm due to their existing criminal histories.