View Single Post
Old 01-16-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I don't even know what firearms they want to ban. I might not even be of the stance they should be banned. I will say mental health is still a huge issue here in Canada and most mass shootings are done by those with mental health issues. I don't want someone like Justin Bourque being able to buy a a semi auto rifle, do a simple modification, drill out the magazine and end up with a fully automatic rifle with a mag holding 15+ rounds.

Now in saying I'd like to see something that would allow people to buy prohibited weapons with strict conditions like: a thorough mental health assessment, the gun must be stored at a secure central location, and to take it out you need to get issued a transport pass detailing your route(no stops) and range your taking it to.

I think the above suggestion would be a nice compromise for our policing agencies and their worries regarding prohibited weapons in homes as well as allowing the average citizen to collect and use prohibited weapons.
So you want extreme controls on firearms that can hold 15+ rounds?
What do you think of this situation?
An individual stops at a restaurant and leaves a rifle with a large capacity magazine in his vehicle, while he goes into the restaurant for a meal or a drink? That firearm is then stolen from that vehicle, which is easy to break into. Do you think that the person should be charged with a crime for leaving that firearm in the vehicle while he stops for a meal or a drink? If you think a charge is appropriate, what do you think a fair penalty would be??

How about someone leaving a loaded handgun that holds 15+ rounds, on a B.C ferry and then walking away leaving the gun lying where anyone could find it? Should that person face criminal charges for this? What do you think a fair penalty would be?

Quote:
I don't think he could, you need to have the right connections to get a firearm like that in Canada. According to someone else in this thread Justin Bourque admitted to trying to make his rifle fully automatic, why wouldn't he have just got one if it was that easy?
Both of the situations mentioned above actually happened , the first in Alberta, the second in B.C. , and no charges were laid against either of the people leaving the firearms. And the people that ended up with the firearms didn't require any " special connections" to get them.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-16-2016 at 10:53 PM.