View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 11:26 PM

As we near the wrap up so open water 2020 perch fishing at Sundance we have seen some Horrible day early on, unable to find any. I think fishing from shore I caught like six only all season.

Lots of trout seem to have scared the perch from the shallows until the water warmed. Then there were some but not a lot near shore. It seemed casting to shore and reeling back out seemed to pick up some big ones, and by big ones the topper wa 12 inches long.

Come August and September and into October the perch were found off shore and in moderate numbers. We have had a good day filling 4 kitty litter buckets of large 8-12 inch perch. A bucket is worth about 2.2 lb of bonesless fillets.

Slow presentations on bottom with the standard hooks and eyeballs, maggots and mealworms working.

Perch are better fed and as such are less aggressive biting...sometimes, patience is now needed. Increase skill also needed.

Hoping to run some how to catch perch sessions this winter.

Given the big perch...I am hoping for a bigger interest in catching them to aid fisheries management.

Browns, brooks and rainbows as well as large perch should be eating smaller perch, lake Chub and fathead minnows.

I know if I am lucky enough to be physically able...I will be chasing perch.

We are proud of the community efforts to make Sundance the be recreational sport fishing lake in Calgary.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin