View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 07:41 AM

Guns & Fun to the Max

Well a long awaited stint is underway this year, after watching the kids and grown-ups at the shooting range,,, I see the value of good times at a frugal budget with the old school rimfire.

I cleaned it up, bolted on a cheap range finding reticle scope for now, and lots boxes of different ammo.

There are 2 brands of 22 ammo that lm not fond off, Winchester bulk pale Wild Cat hollow points, and boxed up Winchester 235 round 36gr plated hollow points.

The old timer came up with a trick to improve them since they seem to not extract after firing.
Dump the box of ammo onto a rag, spray a lite coat of carb cleaner on them and clean them by tumbling around in the rag. Ha.

All the wax comes off, and they seem to shoot pretty straight after that,,, maybe the carb cleaner adds to the ft-per seconds.

2 of my favourite rounds so far are the CCI Stinger 22 LR @ 1640 ft-per seconds with a 32gr copper plated hollow point,,, there great for Gophers in calm to no winds.

The target rounds that work nice out of the old 22 are Winchester Super X T-22 40gr Standard Velocity. Not for varmits since the Gophers seem to get way after impact.

This is one fun frugal cartrage to shoot, and it adds to the big center fire rifle.

I find the wind plays Havoc on the 22 rimfires at 2 to 300 meters much like my 308 F Class at a 1000.

I seen a post of a fellow that compared the 2 cartrages in trajectory drop and wind drift at each of their own specs. They are not twins when it comes right down to it, but they are both affected by the out side elements when if flight.

Yuppers, always thrilling to take up good times from long ago.

Lots of prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing shots going down, it's all about missing the target and paper as I try to close in on hitting a barn. LOL.

Nice thing about missing the target means I get a chance to save it for the next trip out.

Ye Ha, bring on the good times.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 08-02-2018 at 07:58 AM.