Thread: Crossbows???
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Gone Hunting

There sure is a lot of looking down noses going on here.

If using a crossbow is lazy, how lazy is using a rifle?

Who cares if you worked your butt off for your hunt or did nothing at all beside pull a trigger. I don't. It makes no difference to me.

My dad took more then one Moose from our front step. No hunt at all, and he was a better hunter, more of a gentleman and tougher then 99% of the people who would look down on him because he never hunted with a bow.

Dad knew how to hit his target with his old army surplus rifle, one shot, one kill. He couldn't afford to buy more then one box of ammo per year. He couldn't afford a scope or camo clothing or scent killers or an ATV.

He couldn't spend weeks scouting and hunting. He didn't have a 4x4 to pack out his game, he had no place to hang trophy's and no desire to harvest one either. He hunted to feed his family when the option was to live off the land or starve to death.

He made do with what he could afford, and what was available locally.
And he raised 16 kids on the little he made off the homestead and trapping, thanks in no small part to the wild meat he harvested, the wild fruit we gathered and a big garden.

Dad avoided shots longer then 100 yards because he couldn't afford to miss, quiet literally. So he learned to stalk in close and make his first shot count. He learned to field dress any animal by himself and pack it out himself and he wasted nothing.

But he never held a crossbow or any sort of bow.
Was he lazy? was he less a man then a perfumed city slicker with a bow?

No one, at least no one that knew him would have ever called my dad lazy. And my dad never looked down on anyone. In our house, all were welcome.

So if you are a lazy crossbow hunter, you are welcome at my table any time. As for you real men, the ones who think hunting with a bow makes you better then the least among us, don't come knocking on my door.

George Bernard Shaw