Thread: Cortland 333
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Fast recovery and stiff are two different things. The vast majority of people are not over-lining these rods although 1/2 weight heavy torpedo tapers are popular. By moving the weight forward these rods are more easily loaded in close but it certainly is not necessary.

Myself and the folks I fish with want fast action rods to increase line speed and we are not salt water fishing the flats. I would say it is as windy on the Bow or Red Deer River as most any coast line. Precision and often lengthy casts are not any less important on fresh water as they are on salt.

But I digress; what someone else fishes isn't a concern of mine. I just don't appreciate being belittled or insulted for my preferences in equipment or style. I don't resemble a "windshield wiper on high" nor does anyone I have witnessed fly casting AND I am in no way gullible in purchasing state of the art fly rods designed by the most accomplished rod builders on the planet and enjoyed by thousands of people around the world.
You also made the point there is a learning curve needed to appreciate the performance of fast light modern graphite rods,,,, I agree and I would venture to say that 90% of todays rods are way better than 90% of the anglers trying to fish todays rods.

The top 10% can utilize the best rods to their full advantage,,, but they can also grab any rod and make it work well enough to catch fish

It's the other 90% who think that faster graphite will make magically them a better caster /angler when a slower medium rod is going to do just as well if not better for them in their hands!!!

Last edited by Pikebreath; 05-21-2018 at 11:20 AM.