View Single Post
Old 07-15-2023, 11:57 PM

^ Greatly appreciate the offer, Sage. I didn’t see it before I visited a Home Depot.

At the Home Depot, I was told the only drywall they have other than full sheets is the stacks of 2x2’ for $9.97 per piece, lol.

So I asked where is the rack with the broken stuff, cutoffs, etc. The guy looked at me like I from another planet and said they never had anything like that, lol. The other guy didn’t say anything. No matter what I told him, he just assumed I was stupid and said I would have to buy a whole sheet. I said that’s fine, if they kept the half of it. He said they don’t care and then insisted I would have to pay full price, which I said I would from the beginning. So I went to get some baseboards and the other guy who was standing next to the “smart” guy caught up to me and said he can cut whatever I need from one of the damaged sheets. Sounds good. He chose a damaged ten-foot and cut me a 4-foot piece (my “half” was also damaged, but I didn’t care much), gave me a paper that I was to be charged ten bucks he called it half-price of $21.97, the cost of the whole sheet). Even better. That was sorted.

At the trim section, I found what I wanted, called a guy and asked him to cut two 16-foot boards into four pieces of certain length. The guy said there is a “bench” and the tools right there (pointing) set up so that I could cut whatever I want into whatever I want. Sure. Weird, but sure. Grabbed a 16-foot piece and walked to the “bench”. The dumbest set up I have ever seen, especially for a giant chain of hardware stores. I should have taken a picture (I will try to remember tomorrow as I am going there again). I bet you they wouldn’t let their employees use that due to the safety regulations, lol. The tools are hand tools, of course. That’s completely fine, I wasn’t born yesterday. However, those were the dullest saws I have ever seen in my life! Not kidding at all, and by a long stretch. I’ll try to remember to snap a picture tomorrow. The idea is that when the customers use the “bench”, they constantly hit the metal tubes the “bench” is made of with the saw they are using. To make two cuts I broke more sweat than I did through out the entire day prior and I was out at the Heritage place all day and it was, as my youngest puts it, sweating hot, lol. Man… I can imagine pinched, possibly bruised and otherwise hurt fingers of the crowd who hardly ever held a saw in their hands. Seriously, not sure wtf they are thinking with that set up. I am pretty far from a “beginner” and I managed to hurt my thumb, right at the joint. Hurt like a female dog. Of course, I complained to the guy at checkout, saying that they should at least provide useable tools if they expect people to do this crap themselves and whatever happened to someone helping out and making the necessary cuts with a chop saw like they used to anyway. His answer was that it depends on the “rep”, some would do exactly that and others would make the customers do it themselves. I couldn’t believe it, lol. Will see how it goes tomorrow. I managed to somehow skip a roughly 5-foot piece on my list, so I will have to head back. Will make sure to come with my own saw that is always in the vehicle. Likely my last time using Home Depot unless absolutely necessary. The cherry on top, so to speak, was the sign to clean up after yourself after using the “bench”, lol.

Edit: I should add that this a Home Depot at Macleod in Calgary, if anyone is wondering.

Last edited by fishnguy; 07-16-2023 at 12:03 AM.