View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 05:49 PM

Default Handloading process

I know we have a reloading do-dont sticky but given the comment in the other thread I thought it would be interesting to hear what others have developed for thier process to mitigate mistakes. Here's the process I have come up with that seems to work for me

I always start by cleaning brass, either vibratory cleaner or ultra sonic. ( if using ultra sonic I dry my brass before moving to next step)

My reloading steps begin with
Quick case inspection ( confirm how many firings on batch of brass)* more on my round count system comes soon
Lube outside ( quick finger applied mink ol )
Lube inside ( every 5th round push case mouth into a container with #7birdshot w powder graphite mixed in)
Resize/ ex-prime
Clean each round after resizing on a cloth on my knee. And give another quick inspection for defect.
After sizing the whole batch I check overall measurements of case to see if trim is needed.
Trim batch if needed.
Chamfer and deburr case mouth if trimmed
Clean primer pockets ( these steps are done on a rcbs case prep station so each case is finished before grabbing the next case.
Next I mark the brass for my loading count using an automatic center punch on the case head ( I can see how many times each peice of brass has been reloaded by counting the tiny dimples on the case head.
Next is priming
All these steps are done in full batches not moving to the next step until the whole batch is complete
Then comes throwing/ measuring powder
I use a lyman gen5 electronic scale. While a charge is thrown I inspect primer to ensure it's there, its seated correctly ect. Then drop the charge into the case. While the lyman is throwing the next charge I seat the bullet on the charged case in my hand and inspect as I drop it into an mtm box.

The only time my system changes is when working with straight wall cases or cast bullets. I bell the case after the prep stuff and before seating primers.

All neck turning and annealing is done during non reloading sessions and brass is then kept in appropriate bins.

All flash holes are deburred and primer pockets uniformed on virgin brass prior to reloading as well.

With this process I can load about 100/ hr (308)on a single stage press and haven't had an error yet with charges getting missed or doubled.
I find I have plenty of time to seat the bullet and inspect the finished round before the lyman has finished weighing out the next charge. I never have charged cases anywhere but in my hand so I cant miss anything. Powder goes in bullet gets seated.

What's your guys best practice/ foolproof process to keep quality high and missteps at minimum?