View Single Post
Old 09-06-2021, 12:00 PM

Default Caldwell chronograph

I want to measure the velocity of my 20 Tactical 32 grain bullets but my Labradar won't measure velocities in excess of 3700 (or so) fps.
So, I bought a Caldwell chrono which will measure incredibly high velocities.
The first time I used it I was suspicious that the measured velocities were about 100 fps faster than expected based on my Labradar velocities until I exceeded its upper limit.
I tried a second time on Saturdaty using a 6.5x284 with 123 grain bullets with an expected velocity of about 3200-3300 fps. Incredibly, the Caldwell gave velocities 3600-4000 fps. I then used my Labradar and got an average velocity of 3296 fps.
So, I now have the problem of how to measure velocities in the 3800-4000 fps.
I also have an older CED M2 chronograph but it only works on bright cloudy days---it used to work in most conditions except for poor light conditions such as near sunset. I suppose I could buy new sensors, if they still make them.
What experiences have other AO members have with Caldwell? My Caldwell is the entry level one, and not the more expensive one that comes with a light kit and tripod etc. Do Caldwell have a Canadian rep that could repair or replace my unit?
Thanks, in advance everyone.
Bill