View Single Post
Old 04-07-2020, 10:04 AM

The barrel is where most of your accuracy comes from. What I believe confuses alot of shooters/hunters is when we talk about cleaning regiments and accuracy when competition grade barrels and factory barrels have different characteristics. In a match grade barrel, clean shoots better. in a factory barrels accuracy can be best after some fouling is put in it. I find this is especially true when talking about seating depths. We can talk about seating to the lands and having the throat that works for that, but in a factory rifle, the troats is so long that it's usually not even an option. one thing i've found for that cold bore shot precision is a bit of EEZOX in there. a wet patch followed by a dry patch. then shoot. it's kept my cold bore shot right in the group. I always hunt with a fouled barrel. (maybe 5 shots down the tube?) and don't clean it till hunting season is over. And that's with a competition grade barrel. There are anomalies to this of course. I have a pre-war M70 in .270 that likes a squeaky clean barrel.