View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
All FN are nice. I just dont like the concave shape of the blade as its a bitch to sharpen.

Fallkniven have convex blades. Concave would be hollow ground. Convex is great for hard use as it’s got a lot of material behind the edge and not bad in flesh as meat tends to get out of the way when it’s cut. I used an F1 for about 15 years and thought it was great when I had it.
Sharpening convex is a skill like any other sharpening. When I had to sharpen my fallkniven I used a mouse pad with sand paper. Now the only convex blade I’ve got is my gransfors bruk hatchet and I sharpen it on a mouse pad as well then finish on a strop.

This thread got me thinking about that one that got away. I broke down and since that last post have contacted Dan. He’s building me another semi skinner. I’m going whole hog this time... S90v steel, mammoth ivory, thumb notches, red liners, mosaic pins, tapered tang, stainless lanyard tube and again I added 1/2” to the handle. Should be my definition of a ultimate hunting knife. He had to order the steel as he doesn’t work S90v as often and the ivory he’s got didn’t turn my crank like the previous tusk but I’m certainly looking forward to the finished product. I really like the blue and green in a tusk but these are the scales he’s got and they’re a little light on blue and green. I guess I’ll find out in a few weeks but I know he’s never built an ugly knife.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 10-14-2018 at 04:24 AM.