View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
My wife came from another country and she had a rough childhood and came to Canada with pennies with her mom and sister. She will be the first one to say you have the choice. You can blame other people for your life or you can own your own. Money doesn't make you a good person, you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
With the life I grew up with and put in the effort to change my situation I earned the right to say your life is what you make it. I know what it’s like to starve, and have no home thanks. No one gave me a hand up either. Someone forgot to sign me up for that white privilege I guess.

Poor me, blaming others, and making excuses does nothing to improve one’s situation. You may not get to choose how you start life but you can bet your A you have a choice on what you do with it

Hey if it makes you feel better to weep and have pity on people giver but it does not do a thing to help anyone
There are definitely success stories involving people from all walks of life, and while I agree that it's all about the choices you make, I believe it is way tougher for some people to become successful depending on how the earlier years of their life are. If you compare the proportion of people who become successful when they had an upbringing that set them up for success vs those who became successful with the odds stacked against them, I believe there would be a great disparity that reveals how challenging it can be for some and that we need to recognize this rather than just taking a hard stance of "it's the choices you make."