View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleprock View Post
I also use the EWOS pellets and can vouch for it too, but it's getting pricey at $75 a bag. Having a good habitat for the baitfish and freshwater shrimp to hide out and reproduce sure cuts down the cost of feed.
Agreed. In a perfect situation you have plenty of food in your pond or lake. However if your stocking rates are too high to sustain growth with available food then you must supplemental feed in order to continue with growth rates.

From what I can tell this food is very high quality and nutritional value. I suspect while more money they put on more weight due to the calories per pellet.

I would worry a cheaper pellet has more filler and less calories so the fish eats more to grow the same versus on EWOS pellets.

In a small pond that could translate to more fecal matter and less clean water.

Still I feel you can never over feed. Only feed as much as the fish will eat.

I had more than a few greedy brookies swimming along the surface slurping one pellet after another. One at 10 pellets in a row before another trout saw food there and jumped into the buffet line.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin