Thread: 1285 Fox
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 11:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Keg, your Northern area probably has high wolf and coyote numbers. My guess is they are keeping the fox numbers in check. The Parkland areas in Alberta appear to produce high numbers of fox by guys targeting coyotes and catching fox in their snares.
I lived in Wetaskiwin for 18 years, the rest of my 62 years on this planet have been spent in this area.

Things change. I don't know what it's like around central Alberta. Wetaskiwin, Camrose, Pigeon Lake, these days but I know that when I lived there there were far more Coyotes there then here.
And I know that the Coyote population here is about the same as it was when I was a kid.
And right now we have very few Fox and a ton of Wolves.

I don't see any connection between Coyote numbers and Wolf numbers.
The wolf population here was low up into the 1980s. Now it's very high, but the Coyote numbers seem about the same now as they were then.

I'm not sure about Fox, they haven't been around long enough for me to even start to draw any conclusions about their interaction with Wolves or Coyotes.

There were no Fox in the Wetaskiwin area when I lived there and next to none here back then either.

George Bernard Shaw