View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 06:07 PM
jrs

"The purpose of the program is to reward landowners for wildlife production, habitat stewardship, and for providing access for hunting."

Now not trying to fuel the fire BUT CONSIDER:

If 60 000 acres of land can now be hunted that could not be previously, would that not mean a large number of deer and elk not previously open to hunting may be available? Could this mean an increase in tag numbers overall meaning the same amount of hunters will be eligible to hunt every year simply over a larger area? I don't know more than what i read on this post and will be sending letters for clarification.

I like to give the managers benefit of doubt and assume they're trying to increase opportunities for the average guy.
Only 123 antlered mule tags were given out in 108 last year, it takes 5 priority to ensure you're drawn. IN WMU 300 there was only 31 tags given out and most guys were drawn on a priority of 2.
Lets consider WMU 108, 60 000 acres is over 90 sections, even if there is one mule deer per quarter that means access to about 360 more deer, so say 25% of those deer are bucks and are added to the tag equation, that could mean 9 more tags per ranch a year. That would be a 7% increase in tag numbers for the zone per property. Depending on which ranches joined it could benefit the average hunter to some extent (i am 99% sure some large ranches won't go for it even if it means good money). . I'd also say this is only a good deal if general PUBLIC access is allowed, tag prices are capped, and the tags are only valid on the property they're issued on (like landowner tags). I am still cautiously optimistic, i tried hunting 108 last year and found access hard to get where good habitat was present. It wasn't a great experience for me

I have hunted in WMU 300 a lot and permission has never been difficult, I'm not familiar with the parts of the zone with paid access issues (hear about them but stay clear). If anyone gets further information please share it, i would love to hear whats happening exactly and if a huge revolt is needed (just like everyone else would).

Also look at these zones and tag allotments, compare them to other zones in southern Alberta that are much much smaller yet have more tags given out each year and a similar success rate. The use of the wildlife resources aren't currently being maximized.

jrs

ps. I am worried about this, but maybe, just maybe it will be based on a model that was successful elsewhere.