View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
That may happen sooner than you think or it may turn into an industry that knows no boundaries and can pretty much do as they please...

Licences for fish farms are Federal but the leases are Provincial. Right now all the farms on the coast are getting their leases on a month by month basis and the Provincial government is using this tactic to force them to let the natives get their foot in the door.

I have family that work for two of the largest fish farm companies. They both agreed that they either need to join forces with the natives or they will have to shut down since they can’t keep running the way they are.

As much as I’m not crazy about fish farms they are one of the largest employers on the coast and I don’t believe they are the sole reason wild fish stocks are
where they are. Cutting the numbers of seals down would probably do as much as shutting the whole fish farm industry down as far as helping wild stocks rebound. Sit in any estuary when the fish return to spawn and watch them get picked off one by one while they wait for high tide to head up the river. For the most part the seals just eat the guts and then move on to the next fish...

So, I’m in favor of a cull for sure.
I have a buddy who is a veterinarian biologist and he has published a paper on fish farms the Atlantic salmon r passing a Diease on to spring salmon which is called prv and will kill them but the Atlantic’s aren’t getting it they r just carrier