Thread: delete
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 08:51 AM

1.5 to 5 kph depending on the lure. I just do a short/mid length cast out then hook it up to downrigger, probably close to 50 feet or so. I figure being further away from the ball would be better and the lure is going to draw as many fish in as the downrigger ball does. This thinking could be wrong but I have never bothered to mix things up since what I do works good enough for me.

To see the lure on your fish finder you would probably need to set the lure only a few feet back of ball which I don't think would be effective.

If you really want to dial things in get a water wolf or similar camera then you can see how the fish are actually reacting to your lures. If you are catching 20 fish in a day I bet you are having much more then that come up and investigate your lures.

Lure selection depends on the day. Sometimes they want to chase and fast erratic lures work good. Other days they are lazy and slower lures can be the key. I often troll with slower lures just because it works best from my kayak and since I only use a 4 lb ball.

I have never used a flasher and they definitely aren't necessary at Cold Lake if your main goal is just catching fish. They might help if a guy is going to go explore deep water for suspended fish but I haven't fooled around with that much.