View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
Hey everyone,

Don't want to get burned alive for making this comment, because as a new guy, just starting down his hunting path, I want to make friends, not enemies.

With that said, can I place my 2 cents.

one thing I learned from taking the AHIEA course, is that hunters are and considered environmentalists, and conservationists. I understand that this is one of the biggest arguments that other groups hold against hunters, that they can't be both hunters and animal, environment and conservation lovers and enthusiasts; How can you kill the animals if you care for them etc.

So, where am I going with this. Well, from my understanding, and small amount of education so far, hunters do have a natural respect for the environment and the animals they harvest; a clear example would be the first nations, one of the most nature based religions in the world, yet they still hunted as part of the natural balance. However, is it not the role of the hunter, to not only respect the animals they harvest but also to harvest them with the utmost dignity towards the animal? If so, isn't spear hunting, and atlatls hunting not showing the dignity and respect of a clean, quick kill that the animals deserves? I would imagine a well place arrow, or bullet is a lot more accurate, and instant then throwing a spear; if anything it borderline sounds barbaric, and could possibly push those who don't understand hunting even further against us.

I suppose the whole point I am trying to make, is that isn't our job to respect the animal, and give them a quick, painless death? If so, surly its time the idea of throwing spears at large game has to come to an end.

respectfully.

R
It all depends on just who is doing the shooting!
You cannot make a blanket statement and say say that one type of weapon kills better than another.
The operator is the biggest variable in anything.
You may not be able to kill a white tail at 150 yards with a patched round ball muzzle loader or a deer at 30 yards with a long bow, or a moose at 400 yards with a rifle but many can and do.

If one wants to start a big fight all one has to do is say that a particular cartridge - take the .223 for example , is unethical and not good for killling deer, then watch what happens!
Cat