View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Unless you are hoping for someone who owns one to lend it to you, you have the answers you need. There aren't all that many choices and if you want the best shot at talking to the guy you want to get the Iridium. The phone has to be on to get the call, most only last 24 hours on standby so you need a way to charge them, either generator or solar/thermal with enough out put to charge the phone so you can leave it on full time.
Dean2:

I wholeheartedly agree about answers, and that's exactly what I was hoping for: to borrow one. But, that's pretty unlikely and a long longshot at best. C'est la vie, I am prepared to rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
It's not the "sky" you need "line of sight" with. Just be advised there's still a chance you can miss the call. I'm in O&G, Satellite phones aren't the be all and end all. Calls are "missed" more often than people think.
Understood. That's what I suspected. I'm gambling here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
I know it's been said, but knowing that, I wouldn't ever plan a trip during that time.

At any rate, hope it works out for you.
Thanks. It is what it is. At the time of the booking, I wasn't thinking about a contract position (I am already on the sub list for 2018-19). Then I changed my mind. So, out of a 7 week hiring window, I am choosing to miss one, and roll the dice with a sat phone. My only other choice is to not go, but I am the group leader and the "de facto fishing guide". So, I compromise. Again, c'est la vie. Talked to HR already, made the best arrangements I could, they understand.

Thanks everyone! I'll check out various suppliers and make a decision. Cheers.