View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 09:53 AM

Default Best under water Camera

I’ve been into photography for a bit, and always been a techno geek of sorts, yet I agree with Gringo. How good is good enough? What good would seeing fish 6’-9’-15’ away do? Maybe notice if their attracted from that far? Yet how would that actually help you catch?
Then there’s the matter of value. Those $150 ebay cameras have CMOS sensors which I’d be willing to bet are the exact same ones you’ll find in any camera. I mean Marcum doesn’t hand craft sensors. There mass produced and found in your point and shoot, security camera, backup, phone, etc.
IR light from my understanding doesn’t travel far at all in water, and the only difference between a good underwater camera and a bad one would be the lens. Next would be details like panning, appearance, and portability.
I’ve used my GoPro, with great picture on a 9” ipad. Yet the water and lighting is the biggest factor. Low light and water that isn’t crystal clear will render any cameras HD, large display, no better than your 4” BW.
In fact large screens can work against you at times. Think of SD 480 video on a 70” 1080p TV. You start to see blocks.
Personally I find cameras more of a distraction most times. After you see your presentation and what things look like on the bottom, a flasher is all you need to know a fish is around.
I’ve gotten to the point where after setting up over a $1000 in gear, and find myself staring at a screen like some digital junkie, I’ve lost the point of being out there all together.
A bucket, rod and a tackle box is all you need, and enjoying yourself, your company and your surroundings is way more important than all the rest. It’s a kin to how we feel the need to photograph everything now a days. It’s makes pictures much less valuable and removes yourself from the moment. I often wonder how my kids will think about pictures of themselves years from now, vs how we did with the ole photo album and ‘precious’ few moments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk