View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
My conclusions on this topic:

What would I consider a catch and release technique to minimize mortality?...

Unbaited, unbarbed single hook, a fish that is played only enough to get it in, fish kept in water at all times with ability to use gills, don't touch the gills, try to flip fish off by only grabbing fly/lure with pliers, attempt to not handle fish with hands or net. If fish is overly tired and not able to keep its balance in water, gently support it with head facing upstream and don't swish it to and fro...wait for it to leave on it's own power when ready.
X100!!
Imagine if Bow R. Trout that are C&Rd suffered a 50% or even 20% mortality rate....there would little to NONE trout swimming in the Bow,as I would think that with the amount of angling pressure that the Bow receives 24/7 365 year round,that the vast majority of 18"+ Bow R trout have been caught at least once in their lifetime prior to reaching 18",more likely that they have been caught multiple times,and wether by law or by choice,the vast majority of Bow R caught trout are live released? Sorry,but I ain't buying 50% + mortality rates,perhaps with live bait and rough handling yes,but not with barbless nor even barbed flies coupled with skilled landing,proper handling,and proven sound CnR techniques....no way/no how/not a chance,total BS!!

Better still,consider much smaller and much more fragile Eastern Slope cutty streams where it's not unheard of nor even uncommon to catch double digit numbers of cutts per day...10,20,30...50+ fish days from little streams that can only support "X" number of of fish.....ie;Livingstone,Oldman,Racehorse,Cataract to name a few,all of which are 100% CnR......if 50% or even 10% of released fish died,they would be wiped out in no time flat....by June 20th likely,lol.
Sorry Don,I've always enjoyed your posts and respect your skill and experience as an accomplished flyfisher,but those stats are a fantasy,I don't understand what point you're trying to make by posting such rediculous claims,the numbers don't even come close to reality and make no sense.

Last edited by grinr; 08-19-2014 at 10:23 AM.