View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 10:19 AM

Belgium beats England in 3rd place game.

England, once again, does very little to threaten it's opponents and plays a pedestrian lack-luster style of football. Exactly why I don't like watching the EPL as much as I enjoy watching LaLiga or other European league games where there is creativity in play.

Maybe the fact that virtually all the England players are in the EPL is a dis-service to the national program. The team, and the EPL, compared to other top tier leagues are pedestrian. There are Few chip passes, diagonal runs, overlaps and back-heels to throw the opposition defence off balance creating space and opportunity comparatively speaking.

It's certainly not that this young team is out-classed or that other teams have far more talent - it's just that the competition is so tight as players/nations around the world have become more competitive. You need to throw your opponent into a little chaos to get that critical edge to win games.

Nevertheless, this young team should learn from this and position their country for the Euros in a couple years. They are a solid team, they are a competitive team, they just need to find the magic in creativity to put the final tool into their tool box to build their nation's program and deliver what they are capable of.

Belgium put all the pieces together this tournament. I thought they were better than France in the semi's before this game, but did not yield the result by the time the final whistle sounded. A shame to see them playing for 3rd when they deserve to be in the final.

Nevertheless, today they played an excellent game and were the better side. Congratulations to Belgium ..... outstanding tournament for them.

Last edited by EZM; 07-14-2018 at 10:25 AM.