View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762Russian View Post
Thinking on a bit more before I post, I actually can see handguns being used on bigger game, with certain rules; they would have to be demonstrably powerful enough, with the right bullet and charge, and the hunter needs to be aware that they are hunting in the same fashion as a bowhunter; getting as close as absolutely possible before taking the shot, and knowing when NOT to take the shot as well.

Whenever this is brought up, we hear the same concerns: We don't want people running around shooting at deer with their Glocks! Handguns are not accurate enough! Handguns are not powerful enough! Handguns are dangerous and scary!

There is a simple solution to your (and a lot of other people's) concerns (well, except for the scary part):

1. Regulate what are considered appropriate cartridges (ft/lbs, minimum calibres, whatever...) for the species in question.

2. Create a "________ Handgun License" for whatever species, deer, elk, moose, antelope, etc. with which you can ONLY hunt with a handgun.

IMO a Handgun specific hunting license would weed out those who are not serious; most hunters feel limited while hunting with a rifle, so if you tell them "yes, you CAN hunt a WT Buck with a handgun, but if you want to you will ONLY be able to use a handgun for hunting WT Bucks that season" the vast majority of hunters will say "no way".

Again, IMO the only people who would bother are those of us who thrive on challenge. The type of people who practice diligently all year so they can make the shot when it is required. These are the same people who will hunt with a longbow or recurve with no sights, or drag a flintlock around the mountains hoping the powder stays dry.... enough.

Most people do not hunt with traditional archery equipment, or muskets, or flintlocks, because it makes killing an animal much more difficult.

What about it Scar; would you forego hunting with a rifle to try taking a deer with a handgun? (I am betting he would - cause so would I)

Eloquent solution to a minor issue.