View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Re: Natural Dog Food

Currently we feed our puppies Nutram Puppy Food. I used to start all puppies on Eukanuba Small Breed or Eagle Puppy. At about 10 weeks I switched to Medium Breed. At about 6 months we switch to the 30/20 adult ration that they will eat for the rest of their life. The only other puppy food I have liked was the Eagle but it is harder to come by.

Currently feeding the Nutram brand to all adult dogs as well. They are doing as well on it as they did on Eukanuba (Pink), Eagle (Power Pack) and Pro Plan (Performance). None of the other "premium" dog food brands gave me the coat condition, vitality and performance of these four dog foods. Other foods I have tested by feeding to my dogs are Kasco, Prism, Nutro, Iams, Pedigree, Dog Chow, Science Diet and Canutra. The only other time the dogs did as well as they do on the four brands I listed was when I was fur farming and fed the dogs the mink ration. I always feed the 30/20 and adjust the ration amount according to the activity level. I believe that the "special diet" feeds are a marketing gimmick - unless your dog has a medical problem. There is no economy to feeding cheap food.

To put my experience in perspective I am talking about maintaining a show quality coat on a Brittany while running them 4 times a week for 8 miles at 15 - 20 mph while pulling 6 lbs of chain. I have been raising dogs for 25 years, breeding for 14. My dogs have lived long and fruitful lives - I currently have a 16 year old Brittany who is an "old" dog, a 12 year old Brittany who would be competitive in 1/2 hour field trial stakes, and a 13 year old Lab who just last fall started to fall behind when going for 1/2 hour runs behind the quad with my wife.