View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
There seems to be a disparagy between two points regarding ease of fish catching and size.

A) One group wants easy to catch small trout 9-12 inches in length.

B) One group wants good catch rates but with plenty of 16-19 inch trout with a good chance over 20 inch

Group A hopes that there are lots of big fish around but you just have to hunt for them.

Group A tends to want to keep trout to eat.

Group A requires higher stocking rates to keep up on the harvest demand

Group B believes harvest rates are so high in Group A that there are so few bigger or none even that fishing is not challenging.

Group B tends to be more recreational fishing...and puts most trout back.

Group B requires lower stocking rates to increase growth rates.

What is a definition of Quality Lake would be for me?

It is a lake wherein the trout remain in the lake longer so that there are always trout to catch (when they bite) regardless of when the stocking truck left. Catch rates are higher and remain so over time. There are plenty of 16-19 inch trout with a good chance over 20 inch but still you have to have some skill to catch them as they are not dumb newly stocked trout.

Chubdarter...

Most flyfishermen started off chucking everything under the sink. They gravitated to flyfishing for a reason. It is definitely different than a buzz bomb and I have a tackle box full of them when needed.

There is lots of comments about how people should have to work for the trout and that it is not about having it easy. Flyfishing is the closest to work you can get. You need good technique, the right fly, the right location, the right presentation drift, depth etc... then you still miss a subtle strike. Buzz bombs are easier to catch fish at times...but it is not about the easy...it is about the chase and the hunt and tricking the fish. When that does not work...I break out my buzz bombs and rapalas.

Is it more entertaining or satisfying to see a 16 inch trout take a dry fly on the surface...or whack a buzz bomb under the surface? The answer is simple...depends upon the person and the day. And neither answer IMHO is wrong.

Cheers

Sun
i agree Sun....there is a good chance the bug catching, bird watching choco eating kid who chucks lead will become a flyfisherman some day....but every kid deserves that piece of his or her life....its cog in the gear that makes us fisherman.
im not in total agreement with your easier statement....i hope your not saying flyfishing is a government regulation to conserve fish...because if thats a fact....i want flyfishing banned and only single spin reels and 15 foot noodle rods be used.
Even float fishing taken to the extreme is a real science.
In the end im not totally against your proposal.
But i fear more people will suffer than benifit....and i mean the people who dont entertain themselfs on the internet and children who fish.
Yes i know people say the kids can change techniques and some will. But the bobber and worm is highly effective in a highly stocked pond. Some families have limited time and very limited budgets.
All i ask is dont Rail road this proposal so it becomes the standard for regulations.....Remember the average joe fisherman please.