Thread: Buying or tying
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 06:09 PM

I've never shopped online for flies, but the last time I looked in the fishing stores they were not cheap. 50 cents each is cheap if you can get them for that then go for it. It certainly didn't cost me hundreds of dollars to get into fly tying, but then again I've had many of the same materials for many years and like everything, that stuff probably all went up in price. The most expensive item was probably the vise. I also find materials for fly tying at craft and dollar stores so sometimes you just gotta keep an eye out for something that would make good flies. And yes...I do make some really nice flies...good looking, durable and the fish love em. No they're not perfect, but not far from it either as I am an artist and I do pay attention to detail. On the other hand, I have a bunch of store bought Elk Hair Caddis flies that look all pretty and perfect, but seem to fall apart on the second cast. I would recommend to someone interested to buy a beginner's fly tying set and just start tinkering around with it from there. You can always upgrade little by little as you go. My entire fly tying kit takes up no more room than a hand-held shopping basket and I can pretty much make whatever fly I want.