View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 09:38 PM

For me and my budged I will only comment on a Side by Side vs. a small quad. I have only experienced these two options within our hunting group over the last many years.

My vote is: 400 cc class 2wd/4wd quad, with a driveshaft, High/Low range. Winch on front, smallish sturdy chain with clamps 15-20 feet long for wrap and drag/pull behind. 400 cc class quads are: Economical, easier to manhandle (lighter) if necessary. Less width, toughness and agility of a smaller machine makes a difference when you are cutting through bush, which saves time. Fewer hang-ups. Fall hunting has more dark hours than daylight ones, quicker bushwacking and exit during daylight hours are important. You don't want to be stuck in the dark. 400 class has plenty of power for hunting or general bush /farm chores... We pulled 1 cow and 1 bull moose out with my old 400 cc fully manual Kawasaki last fall- pulled both right up the ramp on to the trailer as well. Neither were dressed out yet as we were minutes from a tractor, so plenty heavy!
A small quad takes up less storage space in the garage or beside the house when it is not being used; that is important. Where are you going to store this when you are not using it (more hours in storage than being used likely)? One can almost fit 2 small quads in the space needed by a side by side. A smaller framed machine drives right into a pickup bed or smaller trailer, because it is lighter, which also saves money. Easy to push or nudge/lift or move about without the keys when you just need to sneak something around it...happens all the time in the garage.

The Side by Side that hunts with us will not go in to the thick bush,because it is often ugly in there and can be very destructive on a wider/longer/nicer machine. Which means more repairs if you are not careful. Side by sides are awesome for many things, more comfortable,sociable,and have their place. They are also expensive and need more space to move and store in and out of the bush. Heaters,wipers,doors,mirrors,comforts galore! Very nice for sitting in and riding on nicer trails or open land. That is where they are in their element. The wider and longer wheelbase makes for a smoother ride. Definitely D-Luxe and nice to cruise in.Warmer and drier.

Side by Sides have a disadvantage in the rough, tight bush or ugly stuff due to their physical size . All things being equal, the total area under and around the machine. Smaller machines are exposed to less bush than larger machines. The wider and longer the wheelbase, the more exposure to whatever falls or most often rises up between the wheels, longer driveshafts and steering/framework,axles,support arms,etc.

Nice to have all the options these days, really depends on the conditions you are exposing the machine to, your planned storage, capacity for transport, and the difference in budget associated with these choices.

Have fun...They make your boots last longer than walking