View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
Many hunters also care about preserving wilderness. If the choice comes down to seeing an area remain open to hunting, and be exploited, or be closed to hunting, I think many hunters would be happy to watch wilderness from a distance.

An unwillingness to ever work with a group that doesn't support hunting 100% will see hunting pushed to the fringes. We should be working openly with groups that want to see nature preserved, and working hard to show that hunting is an important part of multiple-use on public lands.

The attitude above appears frighteningly black-and-white. I would hope that our groups are able to take a more nuanced look, since I would hope they would do the same when we approach them with ideas that help hunters.

It appears you decided to ignore my attention to the nuances of Y2Y and financially associated groups.

These groups have put large financial efforts into eliminating hunting.
They are happy to accept reductions in hunting, but NEVER do they lobby for the maintenance or increase in hunting opportunity.

Hunters do not need partners like this. We can lobby for wild places and balanced use of the landscape without having to partner with those that work towards eliminating our heritage and lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post
I agree, Willy. I belong to these groups because 1) they do good work for conservation which helps maintain quality fish and wildlife for all, and 2) to keep them informed about the importance of regulated hunting and fishing to those efforts. And guess what, many other members of Y2Y, CPAWS and AWA are also hunters and anglers because they know what needs to be done to preserve quality outdoor experiences.

Read between the lines all you want, Walking Buffalo, but I look at what is actually being said and done by these organizations. And for me, they are doing much good.
So we know where you stand then. You have proven that you are fine with lobby groups that desire to end the hunting of predators, and to end hunting by non-aboriginal peoples.

Thanks for being honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta_bha View Post
Your interpretation of "reading between the lines" of the Y2Y policy is interesting, but I don't agree with what you are hypothesizing. It may surprise you that Y2Y management are hunters and anglers as well, but, regardless, whether you agree with Y2Y and their policies has very little bearing on this conversation.

If the opinion is that this hunting/angling group should not associate with any conservation group, then I don't agree with you. There is much progress to be made in protecting the wilderness that we all have come to cherish, and enjoy, while working alongside other groups that are just as dedicated to conservation, perhaps for different reasons, but for the same result.

We are demonstrating that hunters and anglers are truly conservationists at heart, as we are working towards preserving what remains of the wilderness, with the sole intent of passing it, and our hunting/fishing traditions, to the next generations, much like what our forefathers did.

I would hope that, at the very least, you would agree that wildlife management and habitat conservation would be something that needs to be supported, while maintaining our shared traditional activities of hunting/angling. This is what the Alberta BHA members align with, and support, as an independent chapter.

Again, the invitation for a pint is always open to all, as I find that it is far more effective venue when discussing things.
There was no Hypothesizing in my commentary.

Mountain Equipment Coop, the mother of Y2Y, funded the Grizzly bear hunt suspension efforts. Y2Y funds and promotes a "Compassionate" wildlife model that dictates the elimination of predator hunting, that hunting is to be done Only for population control measures and Only when natural predation cannot.

That you do not recognize or are not aware of the history of this organization proves either a bias or ignorance.

Nope, I will not support this new group.

I hope no one else does either.
There are better choices for Hunters that want to join a conservation organization.
We do NOT need yet another group dividing the Hunting community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
I'd like to point out that BHA is very vocally supported by well-known super-top-secret anti-hunters such as Steve Rinella, Randy Newberg and Clay Hayes.

BHA is an organization by hunters and anglers for hunters and anglers with a track record of keeping public lands open to hunting and fishing in places where those lands are under far more threat than they are in Alberta. For all the "hunters have to stick together" talk, seems like a lot of people here are pretty quick to turn on reputable hunters.
While strong hunting advocates, these people have likely not experience the Y2Y gang in their backyard.

Take note, my issue is that BHA has aligning itself with this anti-hunting organization, and apparently the new Alberta chapter intends to follow suit.
My position would possibly be quite different if BHA wasn't riding the coat-tails of Y2Y in the desire to achieve their goals.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."